Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Out with the Old in with the Old...

I don't even know how to begin this blog because I have so much to say about doors, and yet really nothing needs to be said at all...they speak for themselves.  Doors open new beginnings and close bad endings! They slam, bang, whisper, roll, swing, creak, speak.  Doors say so much without saying anything at all.  They are symbolic, historical and like most design elements doors have followed fashionable trends.  But I have always loved doors and have always wanted a big beautiful speaks-for-itself kinda door.  One day I think I might just have one.  Doors are all about scale, texture, and color.  Large, bright doors say look at me...Come on in!  Small, intimate rough or textured doors say there is probably something worth your time behind me.  Doors can really be added anywhere in a space.  They divide space well and create interest.  My mom has wanted a red door since I can remember....Mom, it might be time to paint your door red!  In fact she had a red door hanging at the end of our hallway with a mirror behind it in the house I grew up in.  So many people asked where it lead to or even tried to open it, even though they could see themselves in the reflection.  Its interesting how our brains override logic.  Door = new room, new space. 

  Hot Trend: repurposed doors...but this is really nothing new.  I like the room divider with a hung door.  Great for small spaces that need options, or big open spaces that need defining.   



modern, classy, sophisticated

\
one coat of paint has made this niche contemporary and special.

door meet table....your new best friender...

green door....really green Flora Grubb would be so proud! 


yellow never looked so good


hmmm....more my style! clean, simple, old and new. 


images from: 
offbeat home. remodelista. tickingandtoile



1 comment:

  1. Love the doors! I have to admit to being bored with the bright white designers still overuse - so much white my eye doesn't know where to land. Yes it's crisp and clean but somewhat unimaginative. Just saying.... the last door is my favorite for sure.

    ReplyDelete